Name: Kim Yuna, @Yunaaaa
Kim Yuna was born in 1990 and is a former figure skater of South Korea. She began figure skating when she was just five years old and was soon mesmerized by the charm of the sport. Yuna showed potential early on by winning numerous national competitions including the National Winter Sports Festival. She started to draw attention nationally as she became the youngest Korean skater to complete the five different triple jumps at the young age of 11. She continued to show promise as she went on to win her first international competition, the Slovenia Triglav Trophy, in 2002, and the Croatia Golden Bear in 2003.
Throughout her entire career, she had never finished a competition lower than third place, a feat that no one has been able to accomplish, cementing her status as one of the greatest figure skaters of all time. Kim Yuna is famous for her strong technical skills, consistency, elegance and mature artistry on the ice, according to this article in the Los Angeles Times. Her programs are often commended for their ease of movement, musicality and delicate interpretation.
5 Reasons Kim is Awesome:
- Kim is constantly contributing to society through many charitable activitiessuch as providing scholarships to young figure skaters and donating prize money as well as profits from her ice shows. Kim has: donated the prize money from 2013 World Championship to UNICEF, for helping children with disabilities, donated $70 million won to Salecio center for constructing a school in Republic of South Sudan, donated to 5 children of families without parents through the Korean Committee for UNICEF and was part of a joint donation of $10 million that was given by Incheon International Airport Corporation to the Green Umbrella Children, a foundation to support children from multicultural families.
- Kim won the 2014 Coca-Cola Athletic Awards MVP Award.
- Los Angles, Calif. declared August 7, as “Yu-Na Kim Day”
- Kim was on Time’s 100 Most Influential People in the World list in 2010.
- She also won the award for excellence from the Korean Amateur Athletic Association.
For more information, please check out Kim Yuna official website here.
Get updates from Kim’s Facebook feed here.